Angie Davis

Angie Davis

Angie Davis
Photo by Beth Wynn

To ensure first-year teachers successfully navigate the education profession, they need a professional learning coach like Angie Davis.

Davis, a project manager for the Research and Curriculum Unit’s Professional Learning and New Teacher Institute, sets the stage for novice educators to have positive career experiences by offering professional learning centered on growth-focused relationships and reflective conversations on teaching style and delivery.

Creating a collaborative culture that lays the groundwork of trust, Davis establishes a foundation for new teachers to progress rapidly, while improving student outcomes and the teacher's practice. However, it only works because of Davis's ability to create a safe environment where mentees feel comfortable asking questions. She also demonstrates empathy toward new teachers by drawing from her own experience of 20 years teaching Career and Technical Education courses.

“I was doing contract work for the RCU, which sparked an interest in being able to work with teachers. I joined them as a project manager and then moved into an NTI position, and it has been a great fit ever since.” Davis said. “I have always been passionate about helping others and what better way to give back than to train teachers using the knowledge that I’d gained through experiences in the classroom.”

Educational research indicates that in the initial years of their career, teachers are prone to leaving the profession, causing a loss of valuable talent detrimental to students and schools. Effective mentorship during this crucial period significantly influences whether educators build a thriving career in teaching or depart from it.

“I’m blessed to work with new teachers and veteran teachers. I would’ve never had this opportunity if it weren’t for the RCU,” Davis said. “The RCU has helped me to find purpose at a more mature stage in my life. I’m very thankful for this job and the people I work with.”  

In her spare time, Davis enjoys traveling, playing golf, tennis and spending time with family, friends, and her dog, Baxter.

For more info on Davis’s career please visit, https://www.rcu.msstate.edu/directory/mad7.