Contact: Allison Matthews
STARKVILLE, Miss.—The Bulldogs meet the Lions this Saturday [Sept. 2] as Mississippi State opens its 2023 football season at home against non-conference opponent Southeastern Louisiana. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m. in Davis Wade Stadium, and gates open two hours and 15 minutes prior to the game.
The game will include a special tribute to the late legendary Coach Mike Leach.
SEC Network will broadcast the game. Visit hailstate.com/gameday for the most complete game day information and ways to watch and listen. Also visit www.transportation.msstate.edu/gameday for parking and access information.
New this year will be an earlier closure of Creelman Street in front of Dorman Hall for the Hailstate Tailgate. Unlike other roads that close 4 hours prior to kickoff, Creelman Street will close 5 hours prior to kickoff for the setup of the Hailstate Tailgate. Prior to the closure, Creelman will be one way only from Stone Boulevard to Tracy Drive.
All parking on campus is reserved for Bulldog Club members or is available for purchase using a debit or credit card. Multiple roads close on campus on gamedays with most roads only being accessible by those with a valid reserved or paid gameday permit. Parking lot, road closure and traffic details can be found on the Transportation Gameday Webpage.
Some helpful game day reminders are listed below.
Road Closures, Friday [Sept. 1] and Saturday [Sept. 2]:
—B.S. Hood will close Friday at 2 p.m. and remain closed all day Saturday; Creelman St. will close Friday at 6 p.m. and open Saturday for one-way traffic for tailgaters until 5 hours prior to kickoff; Famous Maroon Band St. will close Friday at 6 p.m., with residents entering from President’s Circle to Magruder; Barr Ave. from B.S. Hood to Garner Circle will close Saturday at 6 a.m.; Lakeview Dr. from George Perry St. to Softball will close Saturday at 6 a.m.; Stone Blvd. from Bost Extension to Creelman will close 4 hours before kickoff.
Roadblocks beginning Saturday [Sept. 2] at 7 a.m.:
—George Perry St. at Baily Howell; Bailey Howell and Barr Ave.; Lee Blvd. and Wingo Way; Hardy St. and Morrill Rd.
Roadblocks beginning Saturday 4 hours before kickoff:
—College View and Hwy. 12 off ramp; George Perry St. and the back drive of the Sanderson Center; Bailey Howell Dr. and Lee Blvd.; Hardy St. and Blackjack Rd.; Stone Blvd. and Bully Blvd. (passes required to travel north up Stone Blvd., and passes required to travel east onto Bully Blvd.); Bully Blvd. and Old Bully; Stone Blvd. and Bost Extension; Barr Ave. and Bost Dr.
Free transit service is provided by Starkville-MSU Area Rapid Transit (SMART) on game days from various on and off campus locations to Giles Hall, Newell Grissom and Old Main Academic Center. For schedules, routes and stops, visit https://www.smart.msstate.edu.
From ADA Public North and South Parking Lots:
- North Campus ADA transit service is provided from 100 Research Blvd. to Old Main Academic Center (4 hours prior to kick off until 2 hours after the game’s end)
- South Campus ADA transit service is provided from the Animal and Dairy Science parking lot on Wise Center Drive to Newell Grissom (4 hours prior to kick off until 2 hours after the game’s end)
From Research Park Public Parking Area (North Campus | Hwy 182):
- Transit service is provided from other parking lots in the Research Park to Giles Hall (4 hours prior to kick off until 2 hours after the game’s end)
From Wise Center and Rec Plex (South Campus | Blackjack Road and Hail State Boulevard):
- Transit service is provided from other Wise Center parking lots and the Scales Building to Newell Grissom (4 hours prior to kick off until 2 hours after the game’s end)
From Davis Wade Express (Lampkin and Jackson Street):
- Transit service is provided from the Lampkin Street and Jackson Street intersection to Giles Hall (4 hours prior to kick off until 2 hours after the game’s end)
Routes provide continuous service Monday-Saturday, including game day from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. or until 2 hours after the end of the game (whichever is later).
- Starkville Central SMART Route: Walmart Supercenter, Kroger, Avenue of Patriots, Whitfield Street, Greensboro Street, Downtown, Midtown to Old Main Academic Center: Stop locations are at the Chevron on the Avenue of Patriots, the intersection of Whitfield and Scales Street, the Greensboro Center, City Hall, Regions Bank and the Old Main Academic Center.
- Starkville South SMART Route: Walmart Supercenter, Kroger, Medicaid, Sportsplex, Lynn Lane, Loxley Way, Wise Center, and Animal Dairy Science to Newell Grissom.
- Starkville North SMART Route: Walmart Supercenter, Abernathy, Mallory Ln, JL King Park, Reed Road, OCH, Reed Place, Garrard Road West and East, Walmart Neighborhood Market, Starkville Flatts to Old Main Academic.
- Bus tracking information can be found by visiting www.smart.msstate.edu.
From Mississippi Horse Park:
- Transit Service is provided from the Mississippi Horse Park to Newell Grissom (4 hours prior to kick off until 2 hours after the end of the game)
RV reservations with the Mississippi Horse Park are required. No coolers are allowed on any MSU Transit buses.
—Junction Jane and Johns in the Junction
—Portables at Amphitheater, Dorman Hall, Sorority Grass, Research Park and Vet School
—Inside Allen, Hilbun and McArthur halls; Bost Extension “B,” Roberts and Butler-Williams Guest House buildings; Colvard Student Union; Newell Grissom gym and the Soccer Stadium
Eateries for Saturday [Sept 2.] include:
—Marketplace at Perry, 10:30 a.m.- 2 p.m. and 5-7 p.m.
—Steak-N-Shake, 4-11 p.m.
—Subway, 11 a.m.-8 p.m.
—Starbucks, 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
—Chick-fi-A, 10:30 a.m.-8 p.m.
—Panda Express, 11 a.m.-8 p.m.
Football fans attending Saturday’s game are encouraged to plan their parking and departure route in advance and follow the instructions of officers directing traffic. Game and traffic information will be updated on Twitter @HailStateFamily and @msstatepd.
Basic first aid is available at the MSU Police tents set up in the Junction.
Tickets are available for the game and can be purchased now at HailState.com/tickets, by calling 1-888-GO-DAWGS or in person at the MSU Athletic Ticket Office, first floor, Bryan Athletic Administration Building (288 Lakeview Drive), now-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. The ticket office on the north side of Davis Wade Stadium also opens three hours before kickoff.
MSU is Mississippi’s leading university, available online at www.msstate.edu.